Monday, November 01, 2010

I Love Zambian Folk Music and Kalahari in Lusaka

I love partying at Kalahari in Lusaka. 

I have been made to love Kalahari by the sheer encouragement of Sheva my friend (Maybin Simukoko) though the fact that James Chamanyazi, a personal friend of mine courtesy of Kumphala on MUVI TV and also past connections, was also a factor. My first three sojourns to Kalahari came by way of Chris Mudenda asking me to meet him there or taking me there. Now am a permanent fixtures with a post-paid bill account arrangement and a reserved slot for parking.

Now I was wondering why I love Kalahari, a Club run by Kenyans and perfecting what made Mumana Pleasure Resort, Mauzu, Nkhuzweni, New Londe, Masiye, Zani Muone etc famous: Live Bands! Then I realised that it is because I love folk music. While most of you chaps were listening to Radio Mu, I was in the village listening to Radio 2 on SW and MW on Daddy's 2-Band radio. I have come to appreciate the original Zambian sounds of PK Chishala, Mulemena and later the Mulemena Boys, Serenje etc.

Times of Zambia says: "In folk music, the world acclaims Bob Dylan as emperor. Here the dictionary of Zambian folk is Yandikani Lungu, Lazarus Tembo and Emmanuel Mulemena. If Washen Zulu persists he will include himself on it."

Cue: Yandikani Lungu, *drums roll*

This is the main who subtly sung of chibuku. By the early eighties when I lived in Long Acres on Bird-Cage Walk (where The Millennium Village now stands) and sometimes spend weekends in Jack Compound, which is across the rail-line from John Howard) the Lusaka experience of Chibuku is that there was the City Council brewed Lusaka Beer and the Heinrich's Syndicate (a Lonrho owned firm) rival. I think there was also a Kafue beer I do not know who owned that. During those days, babatons (big traditional guitars) were the order of the day in tarvens and there was a song on radion by Yandikani Lungu song about One Chikopo Four Ngwee change I wonder if the price was 10 ngwee or 20. An uncle of mine used to refer to one size of the tin as an 'Upper Roll' something to do with the pre-independence elections but that needs more research.

So this Yandikani song does rounds at Kalahari and Shamaki has perfected it. I am yet to know all the lyrics but I always sing it on Saturdays and it goes like:

Tusunge ndalama
Tusunge ndalama
Tikalimile farmer zikolino

Nikagula motoka
Nikagula motoka
Mokwelako asikana zikolino

Oyenda onyada
Oyenda onyada
Avala suit ya manispalati

Awisi Tombi alemela
Awisi Tombi alemela
Lelo akamba chizungu
Tude ameya veli hape
Ai bayid talauzi
I just lozya mi kwendo
Talauzi is my saizi

ngilingili yalila
Ngilingili yalila
One chikopo
Four ngwee change

Kapa ka
Kapa ka

No comments: